Stairlift Help and Advice
- How long does it take?
Straight stairlift installation only takes a few hours whereas curved stairlifts can be installed in just one day.
- How much space is needed?
The stairlift size varies from brand to brand. The typical rule of thumb is that your stairway needs to be at least 30” wide plus there should be not below 24” of landing space at the bottom of the stairs.
- Can I install a stairlift myself?
While there is a possibility to buy a straight stairlift with DIY installation, it is still essential to know what is involved before you start doing so. It is still recommended to hire an expert to make sure that power is available where you most need it. You will also need the help of manpower to lift the rails, chair as well as the chassis. Also, make sure that you should find a dealer who’s willing to service if things go wrong. There are some manufacturers that void warranty unless they are installed by an authorized dealer.
Before you call for service, you might need to try some simple troubleshooting steps first.
- Ensure that nothing obstructs that stairlift or footrest.
- If the chair swivels back against the wall, try to wiggle the swivel levers.
- Make sure the red switch on the armrest is pushed in.
- Make sure the front or back switch of the carriage are in the “I” position.
- Make sure the key is properly positioned.
- Regularly check and replace the batteries of the remote control
- If you’re home alone, it is always recommended to carry a mobile phone to alert your neighbors if you need help.
- Always keep your local dealer or supplier’s contact number handy in case of emergencies.
- It is always recommended to ask someone to be around to help you troubleshoot your stairlift.
- If in case your stairlift stops on the stairs, stay seated and check if you can restart or ask for some assistance. If you have to get off, make sure to do so safely and slowly and have someone to help you.
Need more help with stairlifts? Contact Harmony Home Medical at (858) 560-8177. We’ll be happy to serve you.